Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Earthrace

Today I had the opportunity to meet Ryan Heron from the Earth Race Team!
He is the documentary filmaker guy on the team (he’s also an offshore medic - which is an interesting skill to have and a useful one considering he is soon to be spending a LOT of time on a uniquely designed boat with three other chaps way out in the middle of the big blue wobbly thing!)


This is the boat that runs on BIODIESEL *applaudes*. They are currently doing a port to port tour doing talks and such to promote the BIODIESEL cause in the build up to their attempt to beat the round the world record (currently 75 days).
The boat design is pretty darn flashy! It has a wave piercing hull which is part of the overall “be really good at going fast in rough open sea” thing. I would get SO sick. Well, I might get sick if I could actually move around the boat without thinking about being way out at sea miles from land…*shudders* (Shine is unabashedly a land lubber, totally happy to admit she has a strong irrational fear of deep water)

Ryan rocked!! Standing up answering question after question today from a big group of 9 - 11 year olds. He was tireless! Even after half and hour of questions about food and toilets and showers and NOT one about BIODIESEL! LOL! (I soon fixed that by whispering to one of my students a hint on a question I thought would be VERY popular with Ryan, and it was coz it won her a spot prize!).
In a way I guess it is nice that the kids were not at weirded out that this boat runs on VEGETABLE OIL! An indication of the acceptance of ideas outside the square. I was super excited we had the visit and I got to talk to my kids about biodiesel afterwards (Shine loves biodiesel).
Now if someone would just sponsor my car to be biodiesel friendly I would be ALL SET!
Just like Ben Harper - I believe in a Better Way…

No comments:

Post a Comment