Monday, June 12, 2006

OMG

I know I don’t usually post at 3:30 AM, especially on a week night and I am loathe to push my Cars review down so soon…but something STRANGE and UNUSUAL has happened!
My cat came in yarking and woke me and I couldn’t get back to sleep so I grudgingly decided I would go to the toilet and as I got to the hallway door I stopped dead in my tracks and immediately knew something was afoot!
There was this weird eerie yellow glow coming in ALL the windows.
I bravely looked out the nearest one (brave coz, you know, ALIENS!)
and there was SNOW… thick thick snow. Fallin’ as I looked.
Now it HAD been raining and raining when I went to bed and I suddenly remembered the weirdie clouds I saw on my way home from visiting friends up the street yesterday afternoon - but you must understand that the last time we had snow was liek four years ago and that was more than we’d had in the previous four years AND it wasn’t on the ground for longer than a winkling after it stopped snowing.
This is THICK. This is unheard of in my town. I swear there must be four inches out there, no joke!
I went out there in a hurriedly put on thin layer of very insubstantial PYJAMAS with camera in hand.
This pic is from my sheltered front step.
Then I heard the cracking! Branches so heavily laid down with suddenly snow that they are breaking like toothpicks! I had to go VERY low to get along my path onto the street (where of course I had to go look!).
I swear it was just like when the first child goes out into Narnia from the wardrobe! It’s much deeper out on the street. It was stupifying!
I had to walk down the street some just to fully take it in. As I was walking I could hear other branches cracking down the street and in other blocks. No other noise at all. If this keeps up or even stays as it is now (fingers crossed) I will be the only one able to get to work tomorrow (and that’s just coz I live next door to school!)
I took some other pics but it’s too dark in them to see anything so you’ll have to wait til morning. I sure hope it stays, kids all around town will be awestruck as most of them will have never seen snow on the ground and I know they won’t believe me!
I feel liek I am the only one in the world that knows!
UPDATE: Things are pretty serious. People are advised not to leave their homes. Lots of powerlines are down and arching due to weight of snow. I wandered down to a friend’s place down the road and it looks liek a lot of people will lose spouting and trees. I have a lot of damage in my front yard. My pride and joy Kowhai tree has lost most of it’s branches due to snow weight. I have been out there with my rake trying to knock down as much snow as I can to try and save as much as I can! The snow stopped for a while but has started up again. I went over to work and only my principal was there (he had walked in to check on stuff), I let him use my rake to clear trees as well. School might be shut tomorrow too! I picked up a few things while I was there so I don’t get to far behind.
This is a picture of the path to my front gate…you probably can’t tell but right in the middle of the pic is where my path is all covered with weighted down branches!

No comments:

Post a Comment