Sunday, June 29, 2008

80s in my Car

The Ravi Shinecar came with a tape player.. not a flash mp3 playing stereo... the old car didn't even have a functional tape player - so I am using what god gave me and have taken the opportunity to haul out a bunch of cassettes from storage (well until I can be bothered gettign a flash mp3 playing stereo anyway...)
That's right folks... it's 80s revival time in Shine's car! Every time I go out... an 80s album or collection is getting cycled through.

First official two on the list are Nightclubbing by Grace Jones (1981) and Around the World in a Day by Prince (1985)


You might remember Grace Jones from the 80s - weird woman errr man person (!) . Kinda androgynous really. She was in a Bond flick and also romantically linked to Rocky IV star, Dolph Lungren (LOL).


Well, don't be scared, this album is great! Produced by Sly & Robbie and containg three coversIggy Pop's Nightclubbing Bill Withers' Use Me and Demolition Man by the Police. Probably best known for the hit Pull Up To My Bumper. Thing I love about this song...naughty double entendres lyrics, amazing bass guitar and the rhythm... it's a loud one in my car!
Playing in the car rating: 5/5

Next up is Around the World in a Day.


This one was a constant as go to sleep music at one time of my life - which is kinda bizarre as the lyrics are quite cryptic and require some focus! It's also the album that contains the hit Raspberry Beret.
Interestingly at the time.. the album was not publized and really just turned up one day in the stores. Quite a bit different to Purple Rain which was the album before.
My favourite track on here is Pop Life. It's a bit of a reference to Prince's feeling of being an outsider in the industry.
Although this album didn't do well compared to Purple Rain... it's my fav prince album.
Playing in the car rating: 2/5

No comments:

Post a Comment