Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Chickpea curry

Was wretched cross about somethign when I got home and coudln't relax and was worried I would snack on all sorts of rubbish so I made a chick pea curry from scratch and it turned out GREAT! It didn't take very long to make and smells so good...

Chickpea curry
2 tins of chickpeas (I used one tin)
3 tablespoons of oil (ghee would be better but it's dairy)
2 medium onions chopped
1 teaspoon grated ginger (I keep ginger root in freezer then grate as needed)
1/2 teaspoon crushed garlic
1-2 chillies (seeded and finely chopped - depends how hot you like it!)
1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
2 large well ripe tomatoes chopped
1 tablespoon ground corriander (I ground my own from seeds)
2 teaspoons garam masala
2 tablespoons lemon juice
2-3 tablespoons fresh chopped corriander

1. Drain chickpeas and reserve liquid (I didn't)
2. heat old in large pan; add onion, ginger, garlic and turmeric and cook over low/medium heat until onion is SOFT and GOLDEN (not thin and dry and brown lol)
3.Add the tomato and cook until soft. Add corriander and chickpeas and cook for five mins. Add a cup of liquid (whatever you decide to use, I used water with a bit of stock) and cook for another ten mins.
4. Add garam masala, lemon juice and corriander and cook GENTLY for only another 2-3 mins (add more liquid if you want more sauciness).

Yum!!

No comments:

Post a Comment